In order to participate in experimental research conducted at the Experimental Economics Laboratory at University of Massachusetts Lowell, you must register in our database using this online recruitment system. Part of this registration process involves acknowledging the following:
- Only current students at the University of Massachusetts Lowell are eligible to participate. You must bring your valid University ID card to each session, so that researchers can verify your status.
- You can only register once in the ORSEE database. Registering multiple accounts undermines our scientific research. Any participant found with more than one profile will be excluded from all future studies.
- Register using only @uml.edu email addresses. The recruitment software will not allow invitations to be sent to non-uml.edu addresses.
- Once registered you will receive invitation emails when experimental sessions become available. You must respond affirmatively in order to participate - you will receive a confirmation email. Spaces in each experiment are limited, so it is important to respond early to better ensure that a space will still be available. Important: Once you respond affirmatively, you cannot later withdraw this response from the recruitment system, so please verify that you are actually able to come before you respond.
- At the start of each experimental session, you will receive detailed instructions explaining the rules of the experiment. Important: All experiments ran through the Experimental Economics Lab adhere to a strict non-deception policy. Therefore all information and instructions you receive during a session will be truthful and accurately detail the rules of the experiment.
- You will be compensated in cash for each experiment you participate in. First, you will receive a show-up payment (between $3 and $7 but typically $5) simply for arriving to your scheduled session on-time. Second, you earn additional compensation during the experiment. While each experiment is different, experimenters are encouraged to choose parameters that lead to an average payment of $15 per hour. Note that your actual earnings will often depend on your decisions and the decisions of others.
- Important Note: After the scheduled start time, anyone who responded affirmatively to an invitation but did not show-up will not receive any compensation for that experiment. In addition, they will be charged with a "no-show penalty." After a person receives 2 no-show penalties, they will be permanently removed from the database, and will be ineligible for any further experiments.
- During an experiment, participants must follow the directives of the researchers. The researchers will identify themselves before the commencement of the experiment.